Project Consultant Selection Process
2016-2020 Capital Improvements Program
Information for Design Consultants
The $300 million capital improvement program approved by the voters of the Aurora Public Schools district in November 2016 includes more than 30 projects requiring professional design services. The program includes repair and remodel of existing schools, and construction of at least three new schools. This effort is organized in five annual construction programs. A full listing of the projects and program years is available on our web site.
Each year, the district will publish a list of significant projects scheduled for design in the current year. Design consultants will be invited to submit a letter of interest listing those projects for which they wish to be considered. If the consultant does not already have a current statement of qualifications on file with the district, one should be submitted with this letter.
All design contracts are awarded on the basis of a qualifications-based selection and for a negotiated fee. Nearly all selection processes involve requests for proposals and competitive interviews of at least three highly qualified firms. In a limited number of cases usually involving unique circumstances or exigency, we may competitively select consultants on the basis of on-file qualification statements alone. Firms are selected for interview by a panel from the district construction management team and sometimes also including purchasing officials and other district officials.
The following information is considered significant in short-listing for interviews and in selection for contracts. This list is not all-inclusive or in priority order:
- Experience as a designer on school projects
- Experience with projects similar to the current project
- Size of the firm; total staff and number of registered professionals
- Current capacity of the firm for new work
- Experience in the Colorado construction market
- References from past clients and examples of past projects
- Performance on prior work with the district
- Specific staff proposed for the project
- Consultant's level of interest and quality of presentation materials
- Responsiveness of qualification statement and proposal
- Sophistication and relevance of the concept for the project
- Consultants may file a Statement of Qualifications with the district at any time. For an electronic version of the district qualifications questionnaire, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call Courtney Luhrsen at 303-326-2115, extension 28629.
Inquiries about the Capital Improvements Program may be directed to Amy Spatz, Director, Construction Management & Support. Due to our current workload, we discourage calls and appointments for purely marketing purposes.
This document is provided for the information of consultants interested in working with our district. Nothing herein shall restrict the Board of Education from selecting the consultants it desires in the best interest of the school district.